At Sarah Bonnell School we have excellent attendance that soars well above the national level for girls. I am delighted to inform you that our attendance last year was 96%. This is even better than the previous school year – thank you for supporting your daughter and making sure she is here every day to learn and achieve.
Regular school attendance is essential for all of our students to make good progress, achieve their academic potential and consequently have better chances in life. In line with our intentions of stepping up expectations we have modified it to increase the percentages for each group.
There is a direct link between attendance and achievement. Absence is proven to have a significantly negative impact upon a child’s educational attainment. This chart shows how attendance affected the examination results of last year’s Year 11. As you can clearly see clearly, the more students attended school the better they achieved.
Clearly going to school regularly matters! We don’t want your daughter to fall behind in school and get discouraged so please ensure that she attends school every day and arrives on time. Here are a few practical tips to help support regular attendance:
- Talk to your daughter about the importance of attending school regularly.
- Avoid scheduling family trips or doctor appointments during school hours.
- Make sure your daughter stays healthy by eating nutritious food and getting enough sleep and exercise.
- Don't accept excuses for why your daughter "must" miss or be late for school.
- Discuss with your daughter what happened at school each day.
- Lead by example. If your daughter sees parents taking time off from work for no real reason, they may expect to be able to so for the same thing.
In addition, regular school attendance keeps children safe, whereas evidence shows that students who truant are more likely to be involved in crime and anti-social activity. We hope that you appreciate how crucial good school attendance is to your daughter’s progress, achievement and chances in life and we look forward to working with you to ensure that your daughter’s attendance is the very best it can be.