- Rebecca Griffiths - Curriculum Leader
- Natalie Jim - Lead Practitioner
- Nick Bentley - Lead Practitioner
The Drama Curriculum Area at Sarah Bonnell School seeks to build a learning culture of aspiration, achievement and creativity. We aim to empower our students through the development of excellent communication and collaborative skills whilst instilling confidence. We feel that the study of Drama reflects the ethos of our school motto:
- Be Proud: Students are proud to showcase their work both in class and at extra-curricular events and performances.
- Aim High: Students are challenged to push themselves – be it to increase their confidence or perform at the Shakespeare Schools Festival.
- Work Hard: Students work hard to achieve great results, be it at GCSE or as a performer in school productions.
- Be Nice: Drama is all about communication, working with others and having great team work skills.
- No Excuses: Everyone has an important role to play in Drama, be it performing, directing or technical support.
Year 10 and 11
In Years 10 and 11 students continue to develop and improve on their performance, literacy and analytical skills through practical and written assesments ensuring that they are equipped and prepared with the necessary skills and knowledge for GCSE.
The curriculum area runs trips to the theatre to build students skills of reviewing a live performance, which is necessary as this is a specific component of the GCSE course. In addition all students in Year 10 take part in the Shakespeare School Festival – a prestigious event which involves performing a work of Shakespeare in a professional theatre setting.
We follow the AQA GCSE syllabus in Drama in which students study the following:
- The Shakespeare Schools Festival
- Component 1 - Understanding Drama
- Review of a Live performance
- Component 2 - Devising Drama Mock Exam
We follow the Edexcel GCSE syllabus in Drama in which students study the following:
- Component 1 – Understanding Drama
- Component 2 – Devising Drama
- Component 3 – Texts in Practice
Exam Boards & Links for syllabus: