Promoting Equality Statement
The policy outlines the commitment of staff, students, and governors of Sarah Bonnell School to ensure that the equality of opportunity is available to all members of the school community. This requires both an understanding and removal of barriers which could lead to unequal outcomes for different groups of students within the school. We will ensure that for all members of the school community, we will celebrate and value their achievements and strengths.
We believe that equality should permeate all aspects of school life and is the responsibility of every member of the school and wider community. Every member of the school community should feel safe, secure, valued and of equal worth.
Our Vision, Strategic Goals and Values
‘Discrimination impoverishes lives. Most obviously, it deprives those who suffer from it of dignity and opportunity. The fact of discrimination against minorities also demeans and undermines the strength of our society as a whole’ (DCFS – Single Equality Scheme)
‘Everyone should be treated fairly, without discrimination and with respect to their human rights, regardless of their gender, race, age, disability, sexual orientation, language, HIV status, religion, national or social origin or class’ (Equalities Policy Statement - Newham Council)
Inclusiveness is at the heart of our Policy. We recognise that some students and their families struggle more than others against disadvantage and discrimination.
The pursuit of equal opportunities is at the heart of our determination to provide an excellent service for all our students and their families. We are equally committed to ensuring equality for everyone who works for us.
We make every effort to ensure that there is no direct or indirect discrimination in any of our policies or practice, for both staff and students, through ongoing review and assessment of the impact of our policies on equality.
In everything we do, we stand by the principles of fairness, justice and the recognition of personal worth. We are an institution where we can learn and work together in harmony, free from harassment, prejudice and discrimination. Our vision demonstrates our commitment to the elimination of unlawful discrimination and the promotion of equality of opportunity and good relations between all members of our school community.
At Sarah Bonnell we aim to provide a broad, challenging and inclusive education for life, in a secure and happy environment. We will strive to equip our students with the confidence, skills and understanding they need to make a positive and informed contribution to society, as independent, self-motivated and successful women.
In promoting ‘Learning for Life’ and high achievement we aim to:
- Build on the success of our World Languages Department to support us in developing partnerships, both at home and internationally, in recognition that our joint resources and experiences can be of mutual benefit.
- Foster social cohesion by developing proud, polite, well-behaved, confident and tolerant citizens of Britain who have a strong sense of loyalty, belonging, respect and the ability to care and have empathy for others.
- Develop the physical, intellectual, creative and emotional intelligences of each member of our school community – regardless of academic and physical ability, religion, sexual orientation, race and gender.
- Encourage our students to lead a healthy lifestyle, extend their horizons, broaden their knowledge and be active participants in their own learning, by providing the challenge and support necessary to ensure all reach their full potential.
- Develop strong links and foster good relationships with parents, carers and other members of the local community.